What is Inline XBRL (iXBRL)?
Inline XBRL is a format that allows filers to embed XBRL data directly into a HyperText Markup Language (HTML) document so that filers need only prepare one Inline XBRL document rather than generate an HTML document of their risk/return summary information and then tag a copy of the data to create a separate XBRL exhibit. For data users, Inline XBRL provides an easier way to view, access, and explore the contextual information of the underlying data.
Strategies to Prepare
To prepare for the mandate we recommend you take the following steps:
- Determine if your current automated publishing platform is iXBRL enabled
- Build extra time into your process for review and sign off by day 120
- Discuss with your provider how to handle late-in-the-game edits
- Where possible, implement auto tagging of content
- Become familiar with the Arelle open source iXBRL platform supplied by the SEC
- Investigate having a secondary supplier in case you need extra help with the compliance deadline
Broadridge is ready to handle your risk return iXBRL needs, whether you traditionally typeset or are currently using an automated platform, we are ready.